How can I add an external collaborator?
One feature of Spaces is the ability to share your content and work with people external to JCU.
If your collaborator already has a JCU account then skip to Step 4 below. JCU accounts are automatically available for use and you do not need to create a new account.
- Contact your collaborator and ask them to visit the eResearch Spaces site and click on the 'Register' link (or point them at this URL: https://eresearch.jcu.edu.au/spaces/@@register)
- Instruct your collaborator to fill out their details and sign up for an account. When they're done, obtain the user name they selected as you'll need this to grant them access to your Space.
- Go into your eResearch Space, and determine where you'd like to grant the user access. Keep in mind access at a top-level folder will typically apply (be inherited) to all sub-folders and content.
- Browse through to the location you'd like to grant access, and click the 'Sharing' tab.
- In the search box that appears, search for your collaborator's user name. Their account will appear in the listing.
- Grant the user permissions accordingly and click 'Save'. If you're unsure what each of the permissions are, see this FAQ.
You can add as many or as few collaborators as you'd like.
Keep in mind that when using the Sharing tab you apply your permissions to the right content or folder.
A common issue is if you grant a user permissions on content that is acting as the default view for a folder - if you do this, you'll grant a user access to that page only, and not the folder. If you see the following message, keep this in mind: