How can I add a user to a group?
If you're a site administrator, then you will likely come across a time when you need to add someone to a security group. In particular, this is useful when adding new administrators.
Note: these instructions only apply to site administrators (users with the 'Site Administrator' (Plone 4+) or 'Manager' role (Plone 3 or 4+) on a site). If you're a regular user or a user of eResearch Spaces, then this won't apply to you.
- Log into your portal with your administrator account.
- Click onto 'Site Setup' at the top-right corner of the site. If you're on Plone 4 or above, then click onto your user menu at the top-right first, and look under the drop-down menu.
- Click onto 'Users and Groups'.
- Click onto the 'Groups' tab.
- Search for your group in the search box provided, or select 'Show all' to show all available groups. This search may take some time if you're using an LDAP-enabled site, such as the JCU portals.
- Click onto the name of the group you wish to add a user to.
- Use the search at the bottom of the page to search for your user (for example, "John Smith").
- Once you've found the user you want, select the checkbox next to their name, and click the 'Add selected groups and users to this group' button.
- The user will appear in the group members listing at the top of the page, and they are now part of this group.
This user will now have all access privileges that the group has. For example, if you chose the Administrators group (which typically provides the 'Manager' role to its members), then the users within that group get that role.